9.05.2011

My Favorite Things Project: Favorite Books

Next up on the list for my Favorite Things Project: my favorite books! I love to read and these are just a few of the books I have enjoyed the most over the years. :-)


Photobucket

A little bit about each:

Let Me Be a Woman by Elisabeth Elliot- a compilation of Mrs. Elliot's letters to her daughter, Valerie, when she was engaged. Some of the best pre-marital advice in the world- so full of wisdom from Scripture and her own life experiences.

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery- oh, Anne with an "e"! I have always loved her!! Though not quite as avid a writer as she, or as dramatic :-) I do think she is a "kindred spirit". :-)

My Bible- my well-worn, very much loved KJV that my parents gave me when I was 9 years old.

Before You Meet Prince Charming by Sarah Mally- I am so thankful Sarah wrote this book! I would highly recommend it to any young woman.

At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon- you can't be a true Southerner and not like the Mitford books!! The sweet, simple, and often humorous lives of Father Tim and the other residents of a fictional small town in North Carolina are much loved by my family.

Life and Campaigns of Lieut. Gen. Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson by Robert Lewis Dabney- I was reading this 742-page biography at the time this picture was taken, so I included it in the stack. I must admit I got only about 200 pages into it before Dr. Dabney (who was Gen. Jackson's close friend and adjutant) lost me in the mountains of western Virginia. I did enjoy reading the first part about General Jackson's childhood and his life before the Civil War; Dr. Dabney's explanation of why the war happened was quite interesting. Stonewall will always be my favorite Civil War general with the exception of Robert E. Lee. :-)

Joyfully at Home by Jasmine Baucham- I had been reading Jasmine's blog for quite a while when she announced she'd written a book, and I knew it would be good- is it ever! Both she and her dad, Dr. Voddie Baucham, have such a gift for careful, thorough explanation of the Word.

So Much More by Anna Sofia and Elizabeth Botkin- the LORD used what the Botkin sisters wrote to change a lot of things in my family, and we are so thankful!! I would very highly recommend this book and Joyfully at Home to any young woman earnestly desiring to follow God's Word for her life!

There are so many more I could have included...what are your favorites? Shout them out in the comment section!


Because of Jesus,
Bekah Hope

2 comments:

Mockingbird said...

Oh dear, I'm afraid I'm just not that much of a book person. Yes, I know it's terrible. :-)

However, I do have a few favorite titles, like Ben Hur, Hedi, and The Woman in White. I'm currently reading Tim Tebow's autobiography. Have you heard of it? I haven't finished it yet, but what I've read so far is really, really good!

~Mockingbird

Rebekah said...

Well, ya know, I love books but I love music-related stuff even more. :-)
Funny you mentioned Through My Eyes! I'm actually waiting for "my turn" to read it (the local library has only one copy). I flipped through it at the bookstore and I thought it looked good (well, duh, it's Tim Tebow... :-)). We'll have to discuss it the next time we talk! :-)