9.13.2011

My Favorite Things Project: Apple Pie

When I was 15 I decided I was going to learn how to make apple pie. So I made two at once, for a church potluck- and, believe me, it was quite the experience. I didn't put a cookie sheet under the pie tins, and the juice spilled over and promptly caught on fire when it hit the oven floor. Yoikes. Since then I have learned, by trial and error, how to make better apple pies...and I like to eat them as much as I like to make them!


Photobucket

(Yes, I put it on a tablecloth on the grass outside...the sun was going down and our kitchen doesn't have good lighting for taking pictures of food. But outside during golden hour? Oh yes.)

I thought you might like the recipe, taken from my grandmother's Better Homes & Gardens red-and-white check cookbook- it really is the best, and so simple!!


Perfect Apple Pie

6 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly - anywhere from 4 to 7, depending on the size of the apples, and the size of the pie
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
Dash nutmeg (or more)
Butter

Whisk the spices together in a small bowl and pour over sliced apples - toss to coat. Place bottom pie crust in pie plate and arrange apples on top - they should be flat, sort of; don't just dump them in there. Dot the apples with butter if you want to (the recipe says so, but I always forget). Place the top crust over the apples, trim to within 1 inch of the pie plate, and tuck under. Crimp with your fingers (or whatever way you like to fix the edge of your pie!). Cut slits for steam, brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Bake at 400˚ for 50 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!


To quote Pioneer Woman:

Apple pies are wonderful
Apple pies are good
Not everybody loves them
But everybody should

:-)

PW recently posted her friend's perfect pie crust recipe- I'm going to try it soon! 

Because of Jesus,
Bekah Hope

3 comments:

The Correspondent said...

I finally found my way onto your blog, and I'm really enjoying it! Great shots and good text. Keep up the good work! I'll check back in later ... Can you believe the only blogs I read these days are the three I have sent directly to my Inbox?

Rebekah said...

So glad you stopped by! :-) Sometimes I have a hard time writing in proper English because I write like I talk...with a big Southern accent. :-)

Mockingbird said...

Ooh, gorgeous pie picture!

I love that Pioneer Woman jingle; I say that about nearly everything food or item I feel strongly about!