6.04.2012

Memorial Day | Personal

One of my family's favorite Memorial Day traditions is to attend the ceremony at the National Cemetery in Biloxi. We weren't able to go last year, but we made it a point to go this year, and I brought my camera along this time.

I shot these pictures in color, but when I edited them I decided to change them all to a high-contrast black and white. Somehow it seemed fitting, considering the occasion. There was one that I couldn't possibly change to B&W, though- you'll see!

I also included some photos of 2 specific grave sites. The first is that of Mr. Steve Burnett, a dear friend of my family, who went to be with the LORD two years ago today after a tragic, bizarre bicycle accident. The second is that of Lt. Col. Tom Forsythe, who was like a grandfather to Sarah and me. He passed away six years ago after a battle with pneumonia, which was complicated by his Parkinson's disease. His dear wife, Mrs. Charlotte Forsythe, is still living and a very, very dear friend of ours.

The last time we were at the National Cemetery, actually, was for Mr. Steve's burial, and we hadn't been able to take the time to find Mr. Forsythe's before. So it was really special to find both of them- we still miss them so much.

I hope you enjoy these pictures as you reflect on the sacrifice these brave men and women have made on behalf of our country. May we never take our freedom for granted...



Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket




Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket




Photobucket


Photobucket


Because of Jesus, who alone can make us truly free,
Rebekah

4 comments:

KattyRae said...

What a wonderful and fitting way to spend Memorial day!
The photos are beautiful! I am so grateful to those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom!

Zibber said...

These are beautiful and solemn. I like the effect of black and white, but I'm glad you left the Mississippi flag in color!
Great job, Bekah!

Blessings,
Zibber

Sarah Elisabeth said...

How beautiful Bekah!!!!

I can see exactly why you left that one in color. :)

Love and miss ya'll!

Rebekah said...

Thanks everybody! :)
Sarah- oh yes, one simply cannot leave a picture of the state flag in black and white. :D
Love y'all!